Thursday, September 21, 2006

Lilac Buds


'Lilac Buds' : Acrylic on Board : 5" x 7" (12.7 x17.8 cm)
Price : $100

SOLD / SWAPPED : 1 Oct 2006 : Thank you Andrew Henderson

After one art exhibition after another for a few months this summer, I was totally exhausted. While in town one day I treated myself to some cut flowers to take home as a pick-me-up. Hmmm, not only did I buy this bunch of purple flowers (the name of which I do not know) but I arrived home laden with a huge bunch of sunflowers and one of the usual mix of carnations and chrysanthemum. I took hundreds of digital images of them all for a couple of days running, as they opened their blooms further each day.

These delicate little buds, on slim stems, were so beautiful as they began to turn from purple to a rusty brown. None of the buds actually opened as a full, fresh flower (perhaps they'd been languishing in the supermarket for far too long) - but anyway I bought them for their rusty brown, red and yellow marks more than for their purple glory. And I kept them long after they had all drooped, just to enjoy their colours of old age. I'm pretty sure this won't be the last painting I'll do in their memory.


No comments: