Sunday, May 27, 2018

Back to oils for a while

My website is now revamped and up and running (smoothly, I hope!). You can find it here and I'd really appreciate comments on how you think it looks and works. Please and thanks :-)

Wild Summers. The Art of Lynda Cookson : https://lyndacookson.blogspot.fr

In the background I continue to wrestle with watercolour as a medium but for now, I'm heading back to oils.

I have a commission to paint the home of my Loney ancestors who used to live in St Martins, St Peter Port, Guernsey and will be getting on to that this week. This is the beautiful farm house, known to be dated back at least as far as the early 1400s when it could have been the Pastor's house.

There's another house in St Peter Port my ancestors occupied and it's evidently the most haunted house in Guernsey. The house, on Tower Hill, sits a the junction where the road splits into two and is one of those which has a skinny end wall. It was against this end wall where witches were burned at the stake! Plenty of witchy ghosts abound.

Right opposite the house is The Cornerstone Pub, the favourite haunt of Victor Hugo in his time living on Guernsey. We had a snack and a beer there but he didn't grace my ear with any ghostly literary hints I'm afraid.

I've promised a charcoal drawing of the family house as well, so expect messy black fingerprints on my next blog post! All will be posted up here when I'm good and ready.

In the meantime ....

"Henry" by Lynda Cookson




No comments: