Wednesday, May 30, 2018

"Rose Melody" by Lynda Cookson

Okay so I may have told a little porky last time. I said "back to oils" ... but I still have this compulsion to tackle watercolour, with the added inspiration that my four climbing roses have started to blossom in profusion. Who can resist roses?!

I must say I find them extremely difficult to paint but hopefully by the end of summer, having tackled a rose painting as often as I can - in both watercolour and oils - perhaps it won't be so bad.

It's amazing how many petals roses have. When you're trying to sketch or paint a full blown rose the eye tends to get mixed up as to which petal you have just put in place and which one folds in or under the next!

Colour is another challenge because no roses seem to be the same colour as the paints I possess. I've never been one for colour mixing and prefer to put pure colour next to or on top of another pure colour to see what magic they can perform. With watercolour this is very different to working with oils.

And so I continue to battle on! LOL

"Rose Melody" by Lynda Cookson




No comments: